When you find you have a particular issue that you want help with sooner rather than later, an Empower Hour of single-session therapy can help.
Rather than a specific counselling approach, single-session therapy is designed to help you address a particular problem or issue in one session. It is based on the view that people have the resources and strengths to solve problems. As your therapist, I will help you identify and access these resources.
When you enter the session, we will have an agreed focus, and you will leave it with a plan for your next steps, making it bespoke and specially tailored to meet your needs when you have the session. The session's focus is then to help you identify and implement solutions to your issue.
Single-session therapy is a one-time session of solution-focused, brief therapy to help you quickly resolve one specific issue by offering you short-term support and guidance. After your Empower Hour, you can act and move forward independently. However, it is essential to note that the therapy doesn't have to stop there. They can be made available if we agree that more sessions would be helpful.
While single-session therapy is a relatively new approach to therapy, it is effective for various concerns. Research has shown that single-session therapy can be effective for anxiety, depression, stress, relationship problems, family and parenting issues, work issues and life transitions. Some problems need more in-depth support than a single session can provide, and your therapist will advise you on this.
An Empower Hour with me will help you to:
- Navigate challenges in your relationships and find ways to communicate more effectively.
- Find the right tools and coping mechanisms to help you manage your anxiety and stress.
- Give you the support and guidance you need to help you handle transitions and changes.
- Find ways to feel more positive and boost your confidence.
The session is a collaborative process where we work together to create a plan for change. This means that, together, we will clarify the problem, develop a plan, and then ensure you have a clear action plan for the next steps you will implement.
It is crucial that you come into the session prepared, so think about what you would like to get from it. I'll send you a worksheet to help you with this before our session.
How does it work?
During the session, you and I will:
- Agree on the focus of the session.
- Decide on the goal that you are working on.
- Keep on track.
- Focus on your strengths.
- Identify the resources you have around you.
- Work out your options and alternatives.
- Define what has and has not worked for you in the past.
- Work out your next steps.
After the session, it is essential that you give yourself some time to reflect on what we have talked about. You can then put the agreed plan or next steps into action.
Single-session therapy is not a quick fix but can be a constructive way to implement change. It isn't just for when you're struggling with a problem; it's also a great way to build skills such as communication, assertiveness, self-awareness and problem-solving.
Some other benefits of an Empower Hour:
- It gives you the support and guidance to cope with your problem.
- It can help you identify goals and develop a clear plan.
- It's a great way to get an idea of therapy and to see if it's right for you.